Millet Lettuce Roll
This is an easy to prepare vegetarian and gluten-free appetizer or side dish. Serve alone or with a dipping sauce, such as a vinaigrette or taziki sauce.
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup boiling water
¼ cup dry millet
¾ cup sliced, fresh mushrooms
¾ cup sweet corn, canned
¾ cup crumbled feta cheese with basil and dried tomatoes
12 Bibb lettuce leaves
1. Boil 1 cup of water. Add millet and simmer with the lid on for 20 -25 minutes. Fluff millet with a fork and set aside.
2. Preheat skillet to medium high heat. Add ½ teaspoon of oil. Wait for oil to heat up. Add sliced mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes or until brown.
3. Mix cooked millet, sweet corn, mushrooms and feta cheese.
4. Separate lettuce leaves and wash with running cold tap water. Blot dry to remove excess water.
5. To prepare a roll, open lettuce leaf and place ¼ cup of millet mix in the middle. Carefully roll the leaf and make sure the open end stays on the bottom or hold with toothpicks.
Yields 6 (2 roll) servings
Click here to comment on this recipe
Please email your favorite millet recipe to jean@GoldenPrairie.com.
(pictures are welcomed)