Gluten and dairy free chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting have a classic, moist flavor and are made with less sugar than some cake recipes. This recipe is a good option for kids and adults on GFCF (gluten-free / casein-free) diets. Healthy millet and superfine brown rice flour add nutritional value as well - not bad for cupcakes!
½ cup superfine brown rice flour
¼ cup millet flour
2 tbs arrowroot starch OR cornstarch
6 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
1½ tsp gluten-free baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp guar gum OR xanthan gum
2 large eggs
½ cup light coconut milk OR your favorite dairy-free milk substitute
2/3 cup sugar
¼ cup light olive oil OR canola oil
1 tsp vanilla Pastel colored decorating sugar for sprinkling (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F / 176° C.
2. Line 12 cupcake tins with paper cups
3. Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to thoroughly combine.
4. Add wet ingredients and beat on high for 1 minute.
5. Fill paper cupcake liners two-thirds full.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
7. Cool on a wire rack before frosting cupcakes.
8. Frost with Gluten and Dairy Free Vanilla Confectioner's Frosting.
Optional, sprinkle with pastel decorating sugar.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
Yields 12 servings
2011 © Teri Gruss. all rights reserved - glutenfreecooking.about.com
Click here to comment on this recipe
Please email your favorite millet recipe to jean@GoldenPrairie.com.
(pictures are welcomed)