Millet’s Nutritional Benefits
This ancient grain, with its mildly sweet flavor, is tasty, soothing, non-acid forming, and contains a myriad of beneficial nutrients. This readily-available food is one of the least allergenic and most digestible, gluten-free American grains. While Americans are becoming familiar with millet, this wonderful grain ranks as one of the most important cereal grains, feeding more than one third of the world’s population.
Highly Beneficial Traits
- Gluten-free – ideal for celiacs
- Highly nutritious – ideal for children
- Great energy source – ideal for athletes
- Ideal for those with sensitivity to wheat or other grains that contain gluten.
- Complete protein source when combined with legumes – ideal for a vegetarian diet
- 15% protein
- High amounts of fiber
- B-complex vitamins including niacin, folacin, thiamin, and riboflavin
- High in iron, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, and potassium
- Calcium & zinc
- The essential amino acids methionine, lecithin, and some vitamin E.
- Rich in photochemicals including phytic acid, which is believed to lower cholesterol, and phytate, which is associated with reducing cancer risks.
Allergen Free Processing Plant
Golden Prairie processing facilities are dedicated:
- peanut free
- tree-nut free
- soy free
- and kosher certified.
All organic, gluten free grains manufactured by Golden Prairie, Inc. are subject to our HACCP program. This program is in addition to current Good Manufacturing Processes required by the federal and state governments.
The HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) program identifies critical points in production operations that inherently lend (even minutely) themselves to contamination issues (including cross-contamination), food safety issues, etc. Even though this program is not required for grain cleaning facilities, Golden Prairie believes that by being a HACCP compliant facility, all risks of cross contamination, or even any food safety issue will be eliminated.
The variety of millet we raise is proso millet, Panicum miliaceum. It requires the least amount of water of any grain crop. We support and recommend always using certified organic millet.