Summer Shrimp Paella
This dish is delicious and easy! Perfect for summer celebrations!
1 cup millet
2½ cups vegetable stock
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 small onion
2 garlic cloves
½ tsp turmeric
Cayenne to taste
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 small yellow bell pepper
1 small orange bell pepper
2 tbs water
½ lb de-veined and peeled raw shrimp ½ cup frozen peas
½ cup toasted slivered almonds
1. Bring the 2½ cups of vegetable stock and the 1 cup of millet to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
2. While the millet cooks, heat the oil on medium in a large skillet.
3. Add the chopped onion and sliced garlic cloves. Saute until both are a light golden color.
4. Add turmeric, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir.
5. Slice the yellow and orange bell peppers and add to the onions and garlic. Cook for five minutes stirring occasionally.
6. Add the shrimp, the frozen peas and 2 Tbs of water to the vegetables. Cook for five minutes or until the shrimp is cooked through.
7. Pour the cooked millet into the skillet with the shrimp and vegetables. Stir.
8. Garnish with the toasted almonds and lime wedges.
Yields 6-8 servings
Click here to comment on this recipe
Please email your favorite millet recipe to jean@GoldenPrairie.com.
(pictures are welcomed)