Pumpkin Bars with Golden Prairie Millet
The millet adds a wonderful crunch to these pumpkin bars.
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup organic millet
4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup raisins
1 cup dried cranberries
½ cup canola oil
3 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup chopped cooked pumpkin
2 egg whites + 2 eggs
2 tbs local honey
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
Pinch of salt
1. Heat oven to 350 °F.
2. Cut pumpkin in half, scoop out seeds, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
3. Place pumpkin face down on oiled sheet pan and roast for 45-60 min. or until soft.
4. Wait until cooled enough to touch then scoop out filling and blend until smooth.
5. Prepare a shallow oven tray or cookie sheet with parchment paper and grease with oil for the bars.
6. In one bowl, combine all dry ingredients, in a separate bowl combine all wet ingredients.
7. Mix wet and dry together just until combined and pour onto cookie sheet. Spread mix to 1” thick and bake for 30-35 min. or until golden brown.
8. Remove from cookie sheet and place on a wooden board. Cut into bars and store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze for longer shelf life.
©Flying Carrot Food Education Truck, a PPCF & UCCS Health Sciences Collaborative
Click here to comment on this recipe
Please email your favorite millet recipe to jean@GoldenPrairie.com.
(pictures are welcomed)