Lemon and Caper Chicken
As delicious as this chicken is on it's own, don't forget your veggies! Asparagus goes really well with this dish.
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 large eggs
1 cup whole millet
(2 tbs plus 2 tsp millet flour )
1 tsp salt (optional)
3 tbs plus 1 tbs butter
4 garlic cloves
½ cup dry white wine
2 tbs capers
1. Between two sheets of wax paper flatten the chicken with a rolling pin or meat mallet.
2. In a blender make your own millet flour by blending the whole millet for one to two minutes until a great flour consistency. Save the remainder of the flour for other recipes. This step is very easy!
3. In a bowl mix 6 tbs of the millet flour with the salt.
4. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs.
5. Dip the chicken in the egg and then coat with the millet flour mixture.
6. In a large skillet melt 3 tbs of the butter. Cook the chicken for 5 - 6 minutes and then turn. Cook the chicken until fully cooked. Remove the chicken and keep warm. Keep the drippings in the skillet.
7. Cut think lemon slices from one of the lemons. From the other two lemons squeeze the juice into a bowl. Dice the garlic and add the garlic and lemon slices to the skillet. Cook until garlic is golden.
8. In a small bowl combine the wine, lemon juice and remaining 2 tsp of millet flour. Add this mixture to the skillet and heat the sauce until boiling. Cook for one more minute and then reduce the heat to low.
9. Stir in the capers (I love to add more capers) and add the remaining 1 tbs butter. Melt the butter completely into the sauce.
10. Place the chicken on the plate and arrange the lemon slices on top and drizzle the sauce over the chicken.
Yields 6-8 servings
Click here to comment on this recipe
Please email your favorite millet recipe to jean@GoldenPrairie.com.
(pictures are welcomed)