Caribbean Chicken, Millet & Mango Salsa
Perfect for a summer lunch! I love to double the salsa and serve with nachos.
2 ripe mangoes (chopped)
1 drained can of crushed pineapple
1 small tomato (chopped)
1 small jalepeno pepper, to taste, finely diced
1 handful cilantro, chopped
1 tbs honey
½ tsp salt
1 cup millet
2½ cups water
2 tbs oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbs ginger, grated
1 tsp fresh thyme, leaves only (no stems)
½ tsp allspice
¼ cup orange juice
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Make the salsa first so the flavors can mingle: Mix the mangoes, drained pineapple, tomato, lime juice, jalepeno pepper, cilantro, honey and salt together in a bowl. Refrigerate.
2. Bring the millet and water to a boil. Reduce to low and simmer for twenty minutes.
3. In a large skillet saute the garlic and onion in the oil until it begins to turn golden. When the onions begin to look translucent push the onions and garlic to the outer edges of the skillet, leaving an empty space in the middle for the chicken.
4. Cut the chicken into strips and add the chicken, ginger, thyme and allspice to the skillet.
5. Brown the chicken on all sides and then add the orange juice, salt and pepper to the skillet.
6. Cook until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the juice is evaporated, approximately 5 minutes.
7. Remove from the skillet.
8. Mix the millet with the chicken mixture and top with mango salsa.
Yields 6 servings
Click here to comment on this recipe
Please email your favorite millet recipe to jean@GoldenPrairie.com.
(pictures are welcomed)